Early morning To-Do Lists: way too ambitious!

Apparently I fell asleep mid-sentence while reading Scaredey Squirrel to Luka last night, and woke up bright and early this morning at 3:33. That’s half of 666. At the time, I wondered if that was significant, and then rolled over to empty my mind and fall back to sleep. After conjuring up visuals of empty slates, warm seas and vast white sand beaches, my purring Angel curled up in the sun, a row of bleached wishbones on a pristine window ledge, a martini glass with an empty pick in it, EVERYTHING I could think of that made me feel content and devoid of thought, it was 3:45. People often say if you can’t sleep,  get up and do something, but quarter to 4?

So I started a list of to-dos:

  1. make sure Luka has been registered in soccer
  2. sign papers for Graydon to go on school trip
  3. hope nothing really new is required for this trip (I’ve heard the horror stories of skis and boards and boots and pants and jackets anad it all seems insane when these trips are halfway through March and we do NOT live in New Zealand)
  4. find out when Tessa’s first dance competition is
  5. see if this season of new makeup colours and companies are carried at Shoppers, then thank heavens for that Optimum card and when is the next 20x the points weekend???
  6. catch up on the blog
  7. plan future blog entries
  8. see if I can write a charitable blog about Octomom
  9. see if it is too late in the year for Luka to try out Cubs
  10. check bank balance (did. didn’t like it.)
  11. fill-in my workplace survey
  12. fill-in questionnaires and tests for Luka so he can be tested for ADD. This will give way to a week or two or three of postings about ADD and everything that comes with an actual diagnosis
  13. follow up on the lengthy psycho-educational testing Graydon has been having. (I’m looking forward to these results more than I looked forward to any report card of my own!)
  14. better make an appointment to have Clover de-boyed. Shut down the baby-making factory. Give up hopes of him ever developing a manly bark
  15. gather up all Luka’s jeans that he was worn through at the left knee (air guitar slides, what can you do??) and put them in a bag with sewing junk. Throw in car. Mend while waiting in stupid places.
  16. make Rice Krispie squares
  17. put chops in marinade for supper tonight
  18. make tabbouleh salad
  19. start shopping for puppy-proof garbage receptacles (we’re sick of having bags of garbage at eye-level, the only way from keeping Killer (a.k.a.Clover) from digging through them and tearing around the house and up and down the stairs with his plunder

So that list was roughed  out by 4:15 a.m.

I laid back on freshly wrangled pillows and closed my eyes, listening to the summer night selection on my Obus Forme sound-maker, a tiny symphony of crickets and cicadas and owls. And no sleep.

So the day began at 4:25 a.m.

From 4:25 until waking Luka at 7:45:

  1. made coffee
  2. put in two loads of laundry
  3. folded one load
  4. unpacked fabulous frugal deals from No Frills (details to come) and distributed to correct places
  5. made coffee
  6. wiped down kitchen counters
  7. knocked down a new tub of ice tea mix, which had been opened and not closed properly, so when it hit the kitchen floor the lid shot across the room and 680 g of what is essentially powdered sugar flew everywhere
  8. hit my personal wall (figuratively)
  9. grabbed puppy and coffee and went outside to backyard
  10. surveyed the 100 or so man-hours of work necessary to make backyard respectable
  11. as clumps of wet snow started to fall, I thought happily of the lily of the valley, lilacs, bleeding hearts, irises, glads and raspberries that will eventually come up, played with the puppy, finished off coffee
  12. came inside
  13. forgot all about kitchen floor
  14. wet puppy saw cat in doorway to kitchen, gave chase, slipped and slid through the ice tea mix, wrestled cat, rolled through ice tea mix, I screamed, he thought the chase was really on and tore through the house
  15. I give Clover an unplanned bath
  16. cleaned kitchen floor, what, four times over???

at 7:45 I was soaked with doggy bath water, sweat, sticky socks

Gosh, it is so great getting a jump on the day!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: